Personal Injury FAQs

Your life will change after an accident. You will have to deal with not only your injuries but with financial and emotional problems as well. Whether you’re faced with unexpected medical bills, vehicle repairs, or other expenses, your life won’t be the same for a while.

Personal injury lawsuits exist to help people secure compensation for accidents that happened due to the negligence and fault of another. Our team at Caleb Bland Law, PLLC are experts in personal injury law. We will provide you with the experienced legal guidance your case deserves. You don’t have to fight against insurance companies alone. We’re here to serve clients in Elizabethtown, Radcliff, Shepherdsville, and Bardstown, Kentucky, as well as the surrounding areas.



Here are answers to seven common questions asked after an accident.

What should I do after an accident?

After your accident, you should first seek medical attention. Even if you don’t feel hurt, a doctor or healthcare professional should check you for injuries that may be hidden.

At the scene of the accident, you should collect all the information you can. If you were in a car accident, you need to record the other driver’s license plate number, driver’s license number, and the make and model of their car. Taking photos of the scene is also a good idea and may help your case. If there are witnesses, it is wise to write down their names and numbers.

What if I was partially at fault?

If you were partially at fault for the accident, you can still file a personal injury lawsuit. In Kentucky, any compensation you receive will be reduced by your percentage of fault in causing the accident.

For example, if the settlement was going to be for $10,000, but the accident was found to be 25% your fault, you would only receive $7,500.

I don’t feel hurt. Do I still have a case?

You may still be able to receive compensation for an accident if you don’t feel physically hurt. If your property, such as your vehicle, was damaged, you may be able to seek compensation for the expenses to repair the damages. Sometimes it’s also possible to receive damages for pain and suffering. Consult with a personal injury attorney to discuss the details of your case.

Should I talk with the insurance adjuster?

You will probably want to wait to talk to an insurance adjuster until after you’ve spoken with an attorney. Remember, an insurance adjuster’s job is to make sure that the insurance company pays out as little as possible. An experienced attorney can negotiate with the insurance adjuster by leveraging their knowledge of Kentucky law and the insurance company’s policies to argue your case.

How long do I have to file a personal injury claim?

In Kentucky, the statute of limitations for filing a personal injury claim is one year after the date of the accident. After that year passes, in most cases, you can no longer file your claim in court.

However, the deadline is different for car accidents. If you were in a car accident and your case is related to the state’s no-fault car insurance rules, then you have two years after the date of the accident to file your personal injury claim.

What if I’m injured and the other party has no insurance?

If the other party has no insurance, you should find out if your own insurance policy provides coverage for uninsured motorist accidents. Consult with a personal injury attorney to determine the best next step to take for your case.

I filed a lawsuit. What happens next?

After you file a lawsuit, you become the plaintiff, and the person who injured you becomes the defendant. The discovery process then begins.

The discovery process is where lawyers for both sides and the insurer gather information relating to the facts of the case. They do this by collecting documents, answers to written questions, and depositions (answers given under oath). Most personal injury cases will be settled before they go to trial.


You don’t have to face the life-changing consequences of an accident on your own. At Caleb Bland Law, PLLC, we will be by your side as you navigate life after your accident. We’ve spent years helping victims across Kentucky seek the compensation they need. Our team is proud to serve clients in Elizabethtown, Radcliff, Shepherdsville, Bardstown, and the nearby areas. Contact us today.